What is a robot?
As defined by Merriam-Webster, a robot is "a machine that can do the work of a person and that works automatically or is controlled by a computer." Basically, one can think of robots as tool that can do many varieties of work that humans can do. An autonomous extension of the tools created by mankind. A robot seems to be restricted to do only what it's instructed/programmed to do, however advances in machine learning (and A.I.) are closing the gap between human-like intelligence and robots, albeit slowly.
As a burgeoning programmer, I feel there is strong bond between the mechanical parts of a robot and the central hub of instructions that tell how these mechanical parts work. At the simplest level, there may not be much need for complicated instruction in robots but that ideal might be disappearing fast as computer integration is becoming more and more vital. Robots can be used to clear fields of mines or improvised explosive devices are controlled through a computer by a human user. Robots can be used to clear out incredibly hazardous radioactive accident sites by their human counterpart miles ago. However the software part dictates what can be done with the robot! This opens up infinite possibilities because anyone can program anything (well, almost anything yet).
In closing, I wanted to share a childhood experience of what I still think is a great example of a robot. Although still incredibly advanced for today, one can dream right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVtojNukkA0
No comments:
Post a Comment