So far, I've conducted benchmarks on my MacBook Air, Walter (the lab's Pi running Raspbian), and Dragon6 (one of the CS lab computers running Ubuntu). The results are telling me that data transmission times involve negligible server turnaround time--I feel confident saying this because the different client computers are averaging different amounts of time.
Air: ~.8ms
Walter: ~1.1ms
Dragon: ~.3ms
Walter and Dragon are running on ethernet, and the Air runs over wifi. The Tactonic server is also situated on the Air, so it has been running on localhost. What all of this seems to indicate is that transmission time is largely client-bound.
In previous AJAX-based web pages that tried to render the Tactonic device's data in "real-time" I encountered a noticeable lag when I set AJAX requests to occur at intervals less than 100ms. Based on the data above, this behavior may be more on the browser-end, dealing with replacing currently displayed content. At that point it becomes a client-side issue of optimizing rendering.
Testing will continue into next week due to a late start on Walter and the Dragon machine.
No comments:
Post a Comment